The Keith Flint (The Prodigy) Tribute Mix, 8th March 2019 #theBriskSelection
A few days ago the world was told that we lost a pioneer, a genuine rave master, Keith Flint. Part of the Prodigy, we do not need to introduce him or his band. I've covered that in previous reviews. And if you don't know the Prodigy, you are kind of a wally. How can you not know this majestic band? Anyway, he sadly is not among us anymore. And before anyone wants to turn into the Sun, we at TCD do not support gossips. We are not discussing the reason why or how he sadly left us, we are talking about this man in all honour and pride. And that's how we should embrace those who have left us. To honour the great Keith many are trying to get Firestarter on number 1, organising parties to commemorate him and the tragic illness he suffered from, and some do tribute mixes. The one that grabbed my attention was DJ Brisk's mix.
Brisk presents his #theBriskSelection every so often, mainly via Facebook. I never have the time to catch his show live (only did that once), and that's because of the time (the lack of it for me). But thankfully he uploads his music everywhere, and this mix had to be on Soundcloud, the biggest platform of them all. And the mix (recorded on the 8th of March 2019) is all focussed on the Prodigy, and of course the craziest member of them all: Keith Flint.
His death has left a mark on us all, especially on those friends and family of Keith. The raving culture was shocked too, but we are supportive, and show the world why he and the Prodigy are an all-time band.
You might like the newer stuff, or the older stuff. Personally I was more into the early stuff, kind of lost interest after 'The Fat Of The Land', but this feeling emerged after I heard Brisk's mix: I kind of understand the Prodigy's message, even those records I didn't like before: it's all about raving. And fucking you up. That's what their music does. It leaves you breathless.
It also showed me that the Prodigy's back catalogue is seriously impressive. What Brisk did was select the biggest dancefloor smashers by the Prodigy, and carefully mixed them together. And that's a task and a half! Knowing the Prodigy's catalogue they weren't a band who made repetative and similar sounding tracks, each track was different. So is Brisk capable enough to mix it all together, in a beautiful way?
Let's find out, after the tracklist!
01. DJ Brisk - Intro
02. The Prodigy - Need Someone
03. The Prodigy - Poison (1995 Mix)
04. The Prodigy - Diesel Power
05. The Prodigy - Under My Wheels
06. The Prodigy feat Pop Will Eat Itself - Their Law
07. The Prodigy - Light Up The Sky
08. The Prodigy - Take Me To The Hospital
09. The Prodigy - Girls
10. The Prodigy - Funky Shit
11. The Prodigy - Thunder (Arveene & Misk Remix)
12. The Prodigy - Timebomb Zone
13. The Prodigy - Breath
14. The Prodigy - Spitfire (Future Funk Remix)
15. The Prodigy - We Live Forever
16. The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
17. The Prodigy - Resonate
18. The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (Liam H Re-Amped Mix)
19. The Prodigy - Jericho
20. The Prodigy - Wind It Up
21. The Prodigy - Omen (Noisia Remix)
22. The Prodigy - Firestarter
23. The Prodigy - World's On Fire
24. The Prodigy - Warriors Dance (N2 Remix)
25. The Prodigy - Outta Space (Deekline Remix)
26. The Prodigy - Pandemonium (Booty Breaks Mix)
27. The Prodigy - Wild Frontier (Killsonik Remix)
28. The Prodigy - Voodoo People
29. The Prodigy - Music Reach (18.104.22.168)
30. The Prodigy - Ruff In The Jungle (Uplifting Vibes Mix)
31. The Prodigy - G-Force (Energy Flow)
32. The Prodigy - Full Throttle
33. The Prodigy - Charly (Trip Into Drum & Bass Mix)
34. The Prodigy - Your Love (Remix)
35. The Prodigy - Rhythm Of Life
36. The Prodigy - Boom, Boom, Tap
37. The Prodigy - Everybody In The Place (Hardcore Remix)
38. The Prodigy - No Good (Drum & Bass Mix)
39. The Prodigy - Nasty (Spor Remix)
40. The Prodigy - Roadblox (Reso Remix)
41. The Prodigy - Ghost Town (Cover version of The Specials)
42. The Prodigy - (Richard Chees) - Smack My Bitch Up (Outro)
Brisk's achievement is something to be proud of. He has done a remarkable job composing this hour and 46 minute long mix. It's not an easy job to mix all these records togehter, all with different BPMs. Well, they are linked to each other, but still they differ mostly from each other, and Brisk makes it sound so wicked. And effortless. But I reckon it was the complete opposite.
Brisk played a mixed variety of records, from the older stuff to music from their latest album. I'm really digging their stuff, no matter when it was made. But the early stuff is just so cool, so awesome. It wasn't an easy task to pick a favourite, and I'm not going to be able to mention my favourite: there are too many. And especially the way Brisk has mixed it all together, it just comes together so beautifully.
The only records I don't like are the remixes that I do not recognise, like the Hardcore remix of 'Everybody In The Place', the Spor remix of 'Nasty', Deekline's version of 'Outta Space', etc. I'm a fan of originals, especially when they are made by the Prodigy.
It wasn't an easy task for Brisk, but it has paid off. This is really the best tribute mix I've found so far, and with it we can celebrate the awesome things the Prodigy (and of course Keith) have given us. The most influencial rave group of all time. A fitting tribute to a lost legend. #RIPKeithFlint
Genre/Style: Breakbeat, Rave, Electronic Punk, Techno, Hardcore
Mix Info: The Keith Flint (The Prodigy) Tribute Mix
Length Mix: 01:46:20
Tracks: 42 (fourty-two)
Download/Listen (via Soundcloud): DOWNLOAD/LISTEN File Size: 243 MB
File Type: mp3 Bitspeed: 320kbps
More Information: DJ Brisk - Official Website